..............The Church building was erected in 1884 and the Church Manse, on the same property, was built in 1903. The present Minister is the Reverend George MacDonald, a South African with Scottish heritage, who was inducted to the linked charge in January 2004. To contact the Minister or Church Officers, please see under “Contacts”.
..............Quarter Parish Church, situated prominently at the head of the village was built using local stone from the nearby quarry and opened for public worship at the end of 1884. It is now a listed building. The parish was a portion of the original parish of Hamilton and religious services were previously conducted in the Old Work's School, which dates from 1857. The parish was formally erected and endowed in 1901. The church, which was built to the designs of Mr. J.B.Wilson of Glasgow at a cost of £2300, is Gothic of the early decorated period and contained many pieces of fine workmanship, particularly the large traceried east windows and arched porch of dressed stone. Internally the church was roomy and commodious, providing seats for 420 persons. Behind the pulpit was a fine chancel arch of dressed stone. The pulpit itself was richly paneled and the communion table and chair were beautifully made in pitch pine. There was also a fine font of Caen stone, the gift of a friend of the church. Vestry Session house and hall made the accommodation complete and the whole building was lit by electricity. The exterior of the church was noted for the beautiful way in which the grounds were laid out with trees and shrubs and also for the roses, honeysuckle and jasmine which adorned the walls. Adjoining the church is the manse, which was built in 1903 by the same architect and is at once artistic and comfortable with the church.
.............Over the years with the decline of the coal industry the population fell and a linkage was formed with Hamilton South Church in 1956 with the Rev Joseph Hardie as Minister. In 1982 a fire destroyed much of the Quarter Church, but due to the determination of the congregation, villagers and farmers, the Church was rebuilt and rededicated in December 1984 in time for its centenary that month. The beautifully carved chancel furniture came from St. Brides Church, Helensburgh, one of whose former Ministers was the father of John Logie Baird the inventor.
.............Now surrounded by a more residential village the Church sends out a warm and friendly welcome with a variety of activities in a growing community. On Fridays there is the Friendship club giving a warm welcome to all members of the community who would like to come along to the Church on Friday lunch time, for a chat or card games and a bit of lunch.
The Church in 1910 and then in 1984
Groups and Organisations:
Choir Thursday 6.30 pm (excluding July)
Sunday School (all ages) Sundays 09.45am
Guild Alt. Wednesdays 7.30pm
Friendship Club Fridays 12.30pm with light lunch
Groups using the Church as a venue: Mothers and Toddlers
Line Dancing Club
Session Clerk & Church Officer: Mrs Jean Kirkland
Clerk to the Board: Mrs Norma Boston
Choirmaster and Organist: Mr Johnston Borland
Guild President: Mrs Anne Milligan
Sunday School: Mrs Jean Kirkland
Friendship Club: Mrs Sheila Furley
All the above may be contacted through the e-mail address and tel numbers above, or at address:-
Quarter Parish Church
C/o The Church Manse
Quarter, Hamilton ML3 7XA
Links: Church of Scotland www.churchofscotland.org.uk
The Friendship Club meets on Friday between 12.30 - 2.00 pm in the Church Hall at Quarter during the school terms.
The members enjoy a "lite lunch" provided by willing helpers, followed by "chit-chat" or games. Summer outings are also organised to such places as garden centres, pantomimes, as well as having Christmas Lunches and Burns Suppers.
For anybody in Quarter who would like to meet other people in Quarter, why not go along on Friday lunch time to the Church and see what is going on. All are most welcome.
Quarter Parish Church Guild
The Quarter Parish Church Woman's Guild was formed as a natural progression from a Knitting Circle formed during World War Two to knit for the troops.
Affiliation to the Church of Scotland took place on 3rd February 1948 and fifty years later a "jubilee Dinner" was held on 3rd February 1998 at the Silvertrees Hotel in Bothwell.
Over the years membership has fluctuated between 20 and 30 people. a lot of money has been raised for church and for various good causes, based locally, nationally and abroad. The aim being to do this in an enjoyable, educational and friendly manner in a Christian environment.
The word "Woman's" was dropped from the title of the Guild in 1997, following lively and often heated, debate. The object being to allow men also to join the Guild. The local Guild is answerable to (a) the Kirk Session, (b) the local Presbytery Council which in the case of Quarter Guild is the Hamilton Presbyterial Council, and (c) the National Offices of the Guild under the auspices of a National Convener, located at 121 George Street , Edinburgh , EH2 4YN . Local Council rallies are held twice a year and a National Rally is held annually. A syllabus is drawn up for each session and each Guild has "Open Nights" as well as a "Hospitality Night" when representatives of other Guilds are invited to join their meeting.
The Church of Scotland operate Boards and Committees for Social Responsibility, National Mission as well as for World Mission. Although now officially under the jurisdiction of the Session, these matters depend on the Guild for their operation. One young man at last year's National Rally referred to the Guild as a 'surrogate mother of the parish'.
Office bearers are elected annually at the Annual General Meeting. The present office bearers of Quarter Parish Church Guild are:-
President . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Vice President . . . . . . . . . . . .
Treasurer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Minute Secretary . . . . . . . . .
Project Partner . . . . . . . . . . .
The Succession of Ministers in Quarter
Archibald Connel McPhail
To Beith Oct 1870
Charles West MacKenzie
To Durisdeer May1872
James Archibald Campbell
To Shetland Sept 1881
The Parish of Quarter was disjoined from Hamilton , 12 July 1901.
T .M. B. Paterson
J. Murray Ingles
Harold H. Mark
William Alexander Joseph Gardiner
Res April 1955 Died 1959
Linked 30th September 1956 with Hamilton South.
Rev D. L. Stoddart
To Newtonmore March 1975
Rev. George MacDonald
The Rev. George MacDonald
The Rev George MacDonald a South African with Scottish heritage, was inducted to the linked charge in January 2004. George and his wife Monica have very quickly become valued and cherished members of the community. George;s chosen field of study was Missiology, and his ministry focus is the involvement of the Church in community life. Monica has a career in public relations.
Church Fire of 1982
The bronze bell, made at Quarter Ironworks in 1857 according to an inscription fell from its hanging during the fire and was resting precariously on the east nave wall. It will be stored until restoration work is complete then re-hung. Like the cross and bible, the pulpit, thought to be the same vintage as the 98 year old church, survived the blaze intact. It to will be stored and used again. Parishioner Tom Willan, one of the clear up team said a firm of Hamilton architects were surveying the walls of the church to ensure they can stand the weight of a new roof. He also confirmed that the £20000 extension was undamaged by the fire and that the congregation were worshiping in the Quarter Primary School. Since the fire there had been an increase in the turnout for church.